Friday, February 24, 2012

Equal Value

So I started this blog to talk about weight, but it's started to expand into all aspects of my life.  I am defined by my work, my weight, and often by my marital status. 
Let me start this post by saying that greatly admire all my coworkers and friends with children.  I know it is a difficult and unique challenge being a working parent.  I do not begrudge covering for them when they are on maternity leave or when they have a sick child.  I look upon it as part of normal relationships and being human.  I would do the same if someone had a sick parent, a sibling getting married, or any other major family event.  It's just something you do for other people. 

Having said all this, sometimes I feel like my life has less value because I'm single.  I've heard people say that residency wouldn't be that bad if they didn't have a family or kids.  It makes me feel like my experience has less value.  When I request a certain schedule or weekend off my request takes a backseat to those with children.  "I know you wanted such and such off, but the kids have X."  So I don't have kids, but I am still entitled to have a life.  I don't mind covering when someone has a special event, but it just doesn't make sense for every single time.

I am tired of being treated like less of a person because I don't have a husband and children.  I still have a family and friends.  I still want to spend time with loved ones.  Last year I took the most call of anyone in the residency.  This year is the only year I requested a certain order for rotations.  Every other year I had taken the schedule no one wanted.  I didn't get my request because those with families "needed" their choice.  I was discussing this with one of my attendings, who also has four children.   She told me "I know you want to be supportive of your coworkers and that makes you a good person.  But never let anyone make you feel like your life has less value just because you don't have kids."

I certainly hope that my future coworkers are supportive when I eventually have children.  I will also strive to make sure that my single coworkers know I value their time.

I hope this doesn't offend any working mothers out there, but this is a single girl's perspective on taking a frequent backseat in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment